Just Completed: "Leaves #5: On Point"
I have just finished a large new piece in my Leaves series, called, "On Point". I constructed 42 little blocks, tried out a number of settings, and decided to place them on point with a background of hand-dyed purple cotton sateen. Piecing was a challenge, as all the background pieces are cut on the bias, and inserting the black strips required trimming a lot of blocks--not always the right ones at first!
After completing the top piecing, I added another design layer by monoprinting leaf shapes on the top using actual pressed leaves from my yard. I stitched around each gold leaf multiple times with shiney black thread to make them stand out.